As a result of ongoing community transmission and mystery cases, the Victorian Government has today extended the current lockdown in Metropolitan Melbourne until at least 11:59pm on 2 September. A press statement and table of restrictions is attached.
Further restrictions will also be implemented from 11:59pm tonight, as follows:
- A curfew will be in place, from 9pm to 5am each day. Whilst these restrictions commence at 11:59pm tonight, the Victorian Government is asking people to follow the curfew from 9pm tonight.
- Individuals will not be able to take off masks to consume alcohol for takeaway. For those venues supplying takeaway cocktails and other alcoholic drinks we strongly recommend that all alcohol supplied for take away is in a sealed container for consumption both off and away from the licensed premises. Based on events over the weekend in Richmond venues should also ensure that patrons do not congregate in the vicinity of their venues after purchasing take away liquor.
- Permits will be required to attend authorised work and higher education. From 11:59pm on Tuesday August 17, authorised workers and higher education students will be required to carry permits when working and when travelling for work. This is consistent with the arrangements that were in place during Stage 4 restrictions in 2020.
- Additional restrictions will apply to the construction industry, operating as it did last year with staffing reductions in place except for critical infrastructure and emergency repairs.
- Exercise is permitted with one other person and dependents who cannot be left at home. This is a change from the current rule which permits members of the same household to exercise together with more than two people.
- The exception allowing face masks to be removed for food and drink will now only apply to non-alcoholic beverages.
- Religious ceremonies can be broadcast with a maximum of five people. This must now be the same five people every time.
- Outdoor playgrounds, skate parks, basketball courts and gym equipment will be closed.
There have been no announcements as yet in relation to further business support. We would expect those announcements in coming days.
This update does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. It is intended only to provide a summary and general overview on matters of interest and it is not intended to be comprehensive. You should seek legal or other professional advice before acting or relying on any of the content.